Ya’ll! I am so darned excited to bring this Butternut Squash with goat cheese and thyme to the table this week. It is crazy easy- with the shortest ingredient list ever. For an ingredient list that I can count on one hand, this Butternut Squash with Goat cheese and Thyme is playing way above its weight class. Does that analogy make sense? I so don’t do sports. Maybe it’s better to say it is greater than the sum of its parts. Whatever- it’s amazing and addictive, and my husband has requested its presence on our Thanksgiving Menu. Which I’m happy to oblige as its SO DOGGONE EASY.
This recipe is so easy because I use pre-chopped butternut squash. Those of you who have more time on your hands and are cooking without small children climbing your leg- please feel free to purchase a whole squash and peel, seed and chop your own. This recipe calls for 7 cups of chopped butternut squash. I won’t lie to you- the pre-chopped butternut squash at my local store comes in 3 1/2 cup containers. But I do think the volume is quite close to an average sized butternut squash. And the proportions are forgiving. Slightly more or less will be fine. Or slightly increase/decrease the amount of goat cheese and thyme. It’s cool.
Butternut Squash OPTIONS
You can do a mashed version of this and the goat cheese just melts right in. It’s lovely. I can’t really decide which I like best. If you decide you belong on Team Mashed Butternut Squash and it comes out thicker than you anticipated, you can thin with a tablespoon or two of chicken stock.
Herbs- I use thyme as it’s one of my favorites. It is also readily available ten months out of the year, five feet out my back door, thanks to that sweet hubby of mine who grows all the things for me. But you can certainly sub your favorite. Sage would be lovely.
So there you go, friends. That’s all I’ve got for you today. Roast Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese and Thyme – there to help you out with quick weeknight dinners and also fancy enough for your Thanksgiving table. If “side dish” is what you volunteered to bring to Thanksgiving, I promise I won’t tell your family how little time you put into this.
Roast Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese and Thyme
Savory, quick and satisfying side dish.
- 7 cups chopped Butternut Squash
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 Teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder, divided
- 1 ounce Goat Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper
- Divide the butternut squash equally between the two baking sheets
- Drizzle the squash on each sheet with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle each sheet with 1/4 Teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the garlic powder and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Toss to combine
- Roast 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through, until squash is cooked and starting to brown.
- When tossing the veggies- check to make certain both pans are cooking evenly. If not, rotate the pans.
- Transfer squash to serving dish
- Crumble goat cheese on top and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Serve hot.