Well friends, how are we doing out there? I’m skipping about a little bit- happy to be back in my kitchen with my camera. It feeds my soul to be here so I hope this cheesy, creamy, amazeballs Truffle Parmesan Polenta feeds yours.
This stuff right here is what may have gotten my family through the pandemic without resorting to eating out of the grocers frozen foods aisle. (And believe me- the past two years have Eaten. My. Lunch. I’ve been tempted) This cheesy, creamy, savory and just salty enough Truffle Parmesan Polenta is simply today’s version. Polenta in some form is on my dinner menu at least twice a week.
Polenta is now this busy working mama’s best friend. It’s quick, easy, inexpensive, versatile, low-ish carb, satisfying and I can put it together in the time it takes Alan to tell the boys a bedtime story after I’ve tucked them into their new bunkbeds.
This version is polenta in a little black dress. It feels fancy and decadent. Creamy and cheesy, topped with mushrooms sauteed with garlic and shallots and finished off with fresh thyme. This is excellent with duck confit, a steak or roast chicken. But master the polenta and your dinner time routine will thank you. Use it in place of potatoes or pasta, it is perfect alternative to bread for sauce sopping purposes, it’s gluten free and has about half the carbs of pasta.
Pro Polenta Tips
- Use Lambs Brand Cornmeal if you can possibly find it. It is soooo easy to work with.
- Know you may have to adjust the heat and cook time. If it gets too dry- add more liquid, too soupy- keep cooking.
- Never, ever stop whisking.
- It will firm up some after you take it off the heat, so account for that.
- While you can make it ahead, it is best served immediately.
- If (and this is a big IF) you have leftovers- whisk in an egg and fry up polenta patties. Top with a fried egg and serve over a bed of arugula for breakfast or lunch.
- I can’t say loudly enough how versatile polenta is. My second favorite version is this Cilantro Chile Polenta from Hispanic Kitchen. We make this with Snapper Veracruz.
- Homemade meatballs over polenta drizzled in this Romesco Sauce from Bon Appetit is also a fan favorite around here.
Happy Cooking my sweet, dear friends. To those of you who encouraged me to come back to this space- thank you, thank you, thank you.