Hi, hi! Are we all still sticking to our resolutions and trying to eat more veggies? If so, I am your new best friend. Because there has never, ever, ever been a better way to get your greens AND veggies than this gorgeous Winter Salad.
It gives me great joy to send you lovely people healthy dishes with amazing flavor that can be on the table in 30 minutes. It is the ultimate trifecta! Meet your new weeknight, I can’t eat one more bag salad, dinner lifesaver.
Just look at it – it’s so pretty and colorful and good for you! Peppery arugula, caramelized roast carrots, nutty toasted pine nuts, a pop of tangy sweet pomegranate seeds and creamy, decadent burrata cheese. I pretty much want this to be my lunch every day until summer. And maybe then too.
Aside from being my lunch of dreams, it’s a great side dish or a full dinner with a little sliced grilled chicken or steak on top. Maybe a scoop of farro or quinoa mixed in. Winter salad: lunch, side, dinner. I so love versatility. And did I mention it can be on the table in 30 minutes….?
We cut the carrots pretty small so they roast in about 20 minutes which is about all you need to mix up our quick French vinaigrette (in a mason jar no less) no whisk required, and toast your pine nuts. Then you simply assemble your winter salad. Easy, peasy.
Roast Carrot Salad with Burrata
The best quick and easy way to get your veggies. With a giant side of burrata! On the table in 30 minutes.
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 medium carrots, ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch long pieces. Halve any that are more the 1" thick.
- 2 Cups baby arugula (or other tender green)
- 2 Tablespoons Pine Nuts
- 2 Tablespoons Pomegranate Seeds (optional)
- Flaky sea slat- such as Maldon or Falk
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) ball Burrata Cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons French Vinaigrette
- For the Vinaigrette
- 1 Tablespoon grated or minced shallot
- 1/4 Teaspoon kosher salt
- About 5 turns of a pepper grinder
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 Cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Good Quality Olive Oil
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F
- Roast Carrots 20 minutes or until cooked through- tossing after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the carrots are roasting make the Vinaigrette and toast the pine nuts.
- Vigorously shake all vinaigrette ingredients together in a mason jar until combined. About 30 seconds.
- Toast the pine nuts- in a dry pan, (not nonstick) over medium high heat, toast the pine nuts shaking or stirring frequently. They can burn easily - don't leave them unattended.
- Toss arugula with 2 tablespoons of the French Vinaigrette and spread on a platter
- Top with the roast carrots
- Sprinkle on the pine nuts and pomegranate seeds
- With your hands, gently tear the burrata into small pieces and distribute over the salad. Drizzle the salad with the other 1 tablespoon of the French Vinaigrette. Sprinkle the whole thing with a pinch of the flaky salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Preparation time: 10
- Cook time: 25
- Total time: 35