This Thai Curry Soup. Gah, so good. Piping hot, just spicy enough, creamy with coconut milk and layers upon layers of flavor from garlic, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and cilantro.
Any time I feel like I’m in a cooking rut, Asian food always inspires. And it’s Alan absolute favorite food genre, so it’s a double win for me! Plus, we live in a tiny little town with very little Asian food available. So, we improvise.
As if this wasn’t already a flavor explosion, top it with super thinly sliced serrano peppers- (usually green, but these came from our garden and we left them on the plant for a really long time. ) Let’s pause just a minute and talk about serranos. They could be the most underrated pepper out there. And do not tell my husband, but this is one of the many things I resisted and he turned out to be right about.
I’m going to plant serranos, he said. They’re good- they’re almost fruity, he said.
Sure, fruity in an eye watering sort of way, I thought, no thanks. Dang it, the man was right. I will never be the person he is eating these puppies right off the vine, but finely sliced or minced, they are the perfect fresh, spicy, somewhat fruity accoutrement to chili, stews and this Thai Curry Soup. We tried them on the Pork and Poblano Green Chili last week where I had to admit I was wrong. Ask me how much I enjoy that….. But I do like them on this soup. So, I guess I’ll call it a win-win. He got to be right, I get to have serranos.
You do need a couple specific ingredients to make this- you really can’t substitute anything for the red curry paste unless you have a whole day to make your own. And if you do and you have that skill set, please let’s be friends. And the fish sauce is always good to have on hand, although I’ve read you can can sub 1/2 soy sauce and 1/2 rice vinegar. I did use that once and my Thai Curry Soup was still pretty dang good, but not the same.
This would also be great with shredded pork. And if you are after a vegetarian version, just omit the chicken and sub vegetable stock.
Happy Cooking, my friends!
Thai Curry Soup
Thai Curry Soup- the best thing to warm your belly this winter. Omit chicken for vegetarian version.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, minced (about 2 Cups)
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 2" Piece ginger- peeled and grated or minced
- 4 oz Red curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (can sub a different mushroom)
- 4 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 Cans full fat coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (can also poach and shred your own) omit chicken for vegetarian version
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- Diced serrano pepper, chili oil and more cilantro or Thai Basil to garnish (optional)
- In a dutch oven or large wide bottom pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and curry paste and saute 3 minutes
- Add mushrooms and saute another 3-5 minutes
- Add the chicken stock and coconut milk. Stir to and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice, salt, shredded chicken and cilantro and stir to. Let simmer on low heat another 10 minutes
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Garnish with diced serranos, cilantro, Thai Basil and/or chili oil